Finance and Budgets
Introducing the Council's Finance
Aberystwyth Town Council receives income from precept from taxpayers, but also receives income from grants and funding applications.
Annually, the Council decides on the budget for the following year and will seek to ensure that the expenditure as close to budget as possible.
The Council distributes grants to any local organisations which applies in April of each year. The grant forms available on the website.
The Council spends on staff, maintenance of parks, recreation and Christmas lights and any expenditure to ensure that Aberystwyth is a great place to live.
The Meeting of Finance meets monthly (excluding August) and residents are encouraged to attend those meetings.
Notice of date appointed for the exercise of electors’ rights under the Public Audit (Wales) Act 2004
Aberystwyth Town Council
Financial year ended 31 March 2020
- Date of announcement 19.8.2020
- Each year the annual accounts are audited by the Auditor General for Wales. Prior to this date, any interested person has the opportunity to inspect and make copies of the accounts and all books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers and receipts etc. relating to them for 20 working days on reasonable notice. For the year ended 31 March 2020, these documents will be available on reasonable notice on application to:
Gweneira Raw Rees, Town Clerk, 12 Baker Street, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY12 2BJ
between the hours of 10am-5pm on Monday to Thursday
commencing on 7st September 2020
and ending on 2nd October 2020
- From 3rd October 2020 until the audit has been completed, Local Government Electors and their representatives also have:
- the right to question the Auditor General about the accounts. The Auditor General can be contacted via [BDO / Grant Thornton]; and
- the right to attend before the Auditor General and make objections to the accounts or any item in them. Written notice of an objection must first be given to the Auditor General via [BDO / Grant Thornton]. A copy of the written notice must also be given to the council.
- [BDO can be contacted at: BDO LLP, Arcadia House, Maritime Walk, Ocean Village, Southampton, SO14 3TL]
- [Grant Thornton can be contacted at: Grant Thornton, 3 Callaghan Square, Cardiff, CF10 5BT]
- The audit is being conducted under the provisions of the Public Audit (Wales) Act 2004, the Accounts and Audit (Wales) Regulations 2014 and the Auditor General for Wales’ Code of Audit Practice.
Certification and approval of annual accounts for 2019-20
Regulation 15(1) of the Accounts and Audit (Wales) Regulations 2014 (as amended) requires that the Responsible Financial Officer of Aberystwyth Town Council sign and date the statement of accounts, and certify that it properly presents Aberystwyth Town Council’s financial position at the end of the year and the Council’s income and expenditure for the year. The Regulations required that this be completed by 30 June 2020.
The Responsible Financial Officer signed and certified the accounts on 18.5.2020
Regulation 15(2) of the Accounts and Audit (Wales) Regulations 2014 (as amended) requires that following the certification by the Responsible Financial Officer referred to above, the Council must approve the accounts. The Regulations require that this be completed by 30 June 2020.
Publication of audited accounts for the year ended 31 March 2020
Regulation 15(5) of the Accounts and Audit (Wales) Regulations 2014 (as amended) requires that by 30 September 2020, Aberystwyth Town Council publish its accounting statements for the year ended 31 March 2020 together with any certificate, opinion, or report issued, given or made by the Auditor General.
The accounting statements in the form of an annual return have been published on the Council’s website. However, the accounts are published before the conclusion of the audit. Due to the impact of COVID-19, the Auditor General has not yet issued an audit opinion.