Libraries in Aberystwyth
Aberystwyth has many libraries provided by different organisations. Canolfan Alun R. Edwards is located in the old town hall is a lending library provided by the county council. The National Library of Wales is a UK copyright library and is a Welsh Government sponsored body. The Hugh Owen library and Physical Sciences library are services operated by Aberystwyth University and are located on Penglais Campus as well as Thomas Parry library which is located on Llanbadarn Campus.
Canolfan Alun R. Edwards
This is a public library provided by the County Council, and, by joining, Ceredigion residents can borrow books. The Canolfan Alun R. Edwards is also home to the Ceredigion County archives. The building, rebuilt in 1957 following a major fire, was transformed from the home of the Town Council and County Council offices into a brand new library in 2012.
The National Library of Wales
The National Library of Wales was established in 1907, as Wales' only copyright library. The library is home to millions of books, as well as varied collections of documents, letters, pictures and records of every aspect of Welsh history. Amongst others, the library is home to the Black Book of Carmarthen, the Book of Taliesin, the first book printed in Welsh, and the first Welsh translation of the Bible. Due to the uniqueness of the materials, materials cannot be borrowed from the library.
Hugh Owen Library
The Hugh Owen library is Aberystwyth University's main library, with a variety of books on various subjects.
Physical Sciences Library
The Physical Sciences Library is home to the University's mathematics, physics and computer science collections. The library has panoramic views across Cardigan Bay. The building is also home to the Scott-Blair collection of books about fluid dynamics.
Thomas Parry Library
The Thomas Parry library is home to the university's collection on librarianship.